How do I get a legal advocate for myself when I'm under 18 years of age?

Question Details: I have been charged by police for something I did not do. What's the process to get legal representation? I'm under 18.

Filed under Criminal Law | 1496 View(s)

Are you a lawyer? Login or register to answer this question.

Answers by Lawyers

Community Law Wellington & Hutt Valley

There is different asistance available at different stages of the process. The options also depend on how serious the charge is, whether you are able to pay a lawyer, and whether you are 17 or younger.

Click on this link to read about the youth justice system and youth advocates (if you are 16 or younger):

Click on this link to read about legal aid:

Click here to read about duty lawyers in courts and legal advice if you're in the Police cells:

We suggest you get in touch with your local Community Law Centre to talk about the options in your situation. Click here to find them:

Answered 19 Aug 2012. The IMPORTANT NOTICE below is part of this answer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The answer provided above is intended for general informational purposes only and cannot be considered a substitute for face-to-face legal advice. It should not be relied upon as the sole basis for taking action in relation to a legal issue. Laws change frequently, and small variations in the facts, or a fact not provided in the question, can often change a legal outcome or a lawyer’s conclusion. No liability whatsoever is accepted by the authors or publishers of the answer, for loss, damage or inconvenience arising in any way from the use of this site. While each answer has been published by a lawyer with a practising certificate, that person may not necessarily have experience in the particular area of law involved.

For more information about this website, please review our Terms of Use.